The Animal Feed Manufacturers Association (AFMA) decided to institute the above-mentioned award to pay homage to the late Dr Barney van Niekerk and his contributions to the Feed Industry.
Previous recipients of the award are Dr Martin Neitz (1998), Dr Erhard Briedenhann (1999), Dr Lourens Erasmus (2000), Dr Hinner Köster (2001), Rick Kleyn (2002), (None) 2003, Dr Tertius Brand (2004), Loutjie Dunn (2005); (None) 2006, (None) 2007, Dr Pieter Henning (2008), Prof Christiaan Cruywagen (2009), Stephen Slippers (2010), (None) 2011, Hannes van der Westhuyzen (2012), (None) 2013, Dr Hannes Viljoen (2014), Kenneth Botha (2015) and Dr Christél Coetzee (2016).
The award consists of the following:
- A cash prize.
- The Barney van Niekerk floating trophy donated by Mrs Beatrix van Niekerk.
- A mini replica trophy from AFMA.
AFMA would like to invite people who are involved in the South African Feed Industry in some way or another to nominate candidate(s) for this award. Any person(s), affiliated to an AFMA member or an independent individual, who complies with the requirements as set out below, could be nominated for the Barney van Niekerk/AFMA Technical Person of the year award 2017.
The following will be taken into consideration for the award:
- Contributions in the technical field to the benefit of the Feed Industry.
- Technical contributions in the work environment i.e. product or other development.
- Technical presentations at any level.
- Articles published in AFMA MATRIX or other publications (popular scientific).
- Non-technical activities and conduct.
- Contributions towards AFMA and animal nutrition in general.
Nominations should include the following:
- Full name of nominee.
- Present position.
- A short CV – maximum one page.
- A well prepared motivation for the nomination, which should cover the criteria as listed above.
Well-motivated nominations should be returned to Riana Plessers (AFMA-Office Administrator) in writing on or before Thursday, 24 August 2017. Late nominations will not be considered.
Presentation of award
If awarded, the 2017 Award will be presented at AFMA’s 70th Annual General Meeting on Friday, 8 September 2017 or another suitable occasion.
Evaluation of nominations
An AFMA Committee will evaluate all nomination(s) received on or before the closing date. The Committee could, with the necessary motivation, add further names to the list of nominees.
The Committee could, in a particular year, in view of the nomination(s) received or the lack thereof, decide not to make an award. Their decision is final.
Enquiries could be directed to:
Postnet Suite 221
Private Bag X04
Menlo Park, 0102
Tel : +27 12 663 9097
DE WET BOSHOFF
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: AFMA