The discussion paper outlines the principles, objectives and proposed direction of the modernisation of the regulatory framework of animal feeds in South Africa.
The objectives of reviewing the current legislation are to:
- ensure food and human health safety
- reduce unnecessary regulatory burden on stakeholders
- reflect changes in science and technology
- better align the regulatory framework with government priorities related to food security, economic growth and rural development
- support industry competitiveness.
THE WAY FORWARD
The Registrar of Feeds received broad stakeholder comments and inputs on the proposed regulatory framework towards the end of 2015, and is currently drafting the amendment bill based on these inputs and various consultation sessions with manufacturing and producer groups. The Draft Feeds Bill is expected to be available for public comment by the end of 2016. Further status updates will be posted on this site.