Members of the Wheat Value Chain (which included SACOTA and AFMA), met with the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries at the Birchwood Hotel, Johannesburg on 2 March 2017 to address key issues concerning the growth and revival of the SA Wheat Industry.
Matters addressed include:
- The appointment of DAFF Assignees under the APS Act, which adds cost to industry and the end consumer (i.e. LEAF);
- Wheat trade environment – EU Duty Free Rebate; Import Tariff Triger; Outcome of the Tariff Model investigation and SACU Rebate;
- Revival of the Agriculture’s Presidential Working Group;
- Operational issues – Industry and Governmental Structures for Cooperation; and
- Wheat Value Chain Round Table revival.
The meeting was perceived as very positive by both Industry and Government and both parties are looking forward to strengthening cooperation in the different structures to the benefit of the Wheat Industry and the value chain.